New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Anirban

India
6 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2014 :  12:48:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Can anybody tell me how ssrs form based authentication works with report portal. I am not able to crack it. I have downloaded SSRS_Config utility from report portal connection page and updated the patch by selecting ssrs installation folder and report portal xaml file. But i am not understanding how this one is working. Please help me out.

Anirban

Edited by - Anirban on 04/17/2014 12:56:58

admin

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2014 :  13:39:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which version of SQL Server do you have?
Do you want to implement forms or Anonymous authentication?
What error do you get?
Go to Top of Page

Anirban

India
6 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2014 :  13:52:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Currently I am using SQL server 2012.
I want to implement forms authentication. I have applied that patch (ssrs configuration utility) but I need clarifications on this.
Can u tell me the steps after applying that patch what I need to do?
to apply role based security i need form based authentication only.
Anonymous authentication I have already implemented.
please help me

Anirban
Go to Top of Page

Anirban

India
6 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2014 :  14:02:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After applying SSRS config utility patch. SSRS report manager identifying only those users which is created by report portal admin.
till now it is all fine, Now i am logging in as admin into report portal and After that whenever I am clicking the SSRS reports another login password prompt is coming(login.aspx).

Anirban
Go to Top of Page

admin

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2014 :  00:34:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SSRS Config utility lets you pick only SQL Server 2005, 2008 and 2008 R2. It has not been tested with SQL Server 2012. Please set up your server authentication manually by using this article:

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/675943/SSRS-Forms-Authentication
Go to Top of Page

admin

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2014 :  00:35:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It your SSRS server installed on the web server?
Go to Top of Page

Anirban

India
6 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2014 :  02:18:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have already checked that article so many times . That link is explaining about general form authentication with SSRS.

Using the above article I am not getting how to authenticate SSRS with Report Portal.

I can say the above mentioned article is .NET Code of "SSRS Config utility"

No, my SSRS server is not running on web server.

Anirban

Edited by - Anirban on 04/18/2014 02:18:58
Go to Top of Page

Anirban

India
6 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2014 :  02:33:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you provide me some documentation of "SSRS Config utility" ?

I need the steps.

what should we do after applying the "SSRS Config utility"

If you can tell me how 'SQL server 2008 R2' works with 'SSRS Config utility' or any step by step documentation then it will be very helpful.

At least I will get some idea.

Almost from past 2 months I am working on SSRS Form based authentication with Report Portal but not able to crack it.

Anirban

Edited by - Anirban on 04/18/2014 02:34:48
Go to Top of Page

admin

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2014 :  03:23:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SSRS Config utility requires one step: select the authentication mode and click Update. There is no documentation.

Here is what happens underneath. When you select forms authentication the config utility will change config files and copy Microsoft.Samples.ReportingServices.CustomSecurity.dll. During the authentication phase the following steps will take place:

1. ReportPortal will send the LogonUser authentication request to SSRS report server with ReportPortal user name and password http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa225885(v=sql.80).aspx
2. The report server will look at ReportServer\rsreportserver.config config file and call the Microsoft.Samples.ReportingServices.CustomSecurity.dll
3. Microsoft.Samples.ReportingServices.CustomSecurity.dll will look for xmla.udl for the connection string to ReportPortal database and run an SQL query against AppUser table
4. Once the authentication is successful, SSRS LogonUser authentication request sets value for sqlAuthCookie cookie.
5. All subsequent request will send SSRS report server the sqlAuthCookie cookie

In your case, the problem might arise when SSRS is on another machine and different subdomain. In that case, the sqlAuthCookie will be set only for ReportPortal and not SSRS server web domain. ReportPortal can resolve this problem by reposting the sqlAuthCookie to your SSRS server. For this you ned to:

1. Run the following SQL against ReportPortal database:

INSERT INTO AppSettings (Param, ParamValue) VALUES ('RsCookieURL',' http://www.reportportal.us/ReportServer')

Please note that you need to change http://www.reportportal.us/ReportServer to the URL of your SSRS Servier.

2. Restart IIS or ReportPortal app pool
Go to Top of Page

admin

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2014 :  03:33:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the source code for Microsoft.Samples.ReportingServices.CustomSecurity.dll

http://www.reportportal.com/download/FormsAuthentication.zip
Go to Top of Page

Anirban

India
6 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2014 :  01:26:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Admin,

Thank you very much for your quick response . Now I am able to authenticate ssrs reports with Report Portal users. I tested SSRS Config utility 2008 R2 with SQL server 2012. It worked for me.

Anirban
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ReportPortal © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page